Tuesday 6 November 2018

Exercise

I'm not a gym-bunny, but I am feeling the need to do a bit of exercise.  Not specifically for weightloss (though that would be a nice side effect!), but to build up strength as well as toning/defining muscles a bit more.  As I've had a hysterectomy, I am at risk of osteoporosis, so it is recommended that I do plenty of weight-bearing exercise, and I like the idea of using my body as resistance.

In the past, I read "Lose Weight: Without Dieting" by David Nordmark (because it was free on Kindle at the time, and I download almost every free book I come across...) and, from what I remember, it complements the 2B Mindset quite nicely.  The same author has also written a few exercise books, samples of which are also free on Kindle.  I have been reading his "Workout: Routines" sample book, and have decided to use it to do some strength-based exercises.

Because I am unfit, to say the least, I'm going to build up these exercises adding a new one each day, until I can do the whole routine which, according to Nordmark, should take no more than 30 minutes.  As this is just a sample from one of his other books, this series focuses on Dynamic Stretches, ie those that involve movement in the stretch to also build up flexibility.

Here is his list of stretches, with the number of reps (the names are the names used in his book; I know some of them by other names, but I refer you to his book if you wish to find out more detail):


  • Sumo Squat Stretch - 10 reps
  • Sumo Squat Kicks - 10 reps
  • Ying Yang Squats - 10 reps
  • Football Kicks - 10 reps each leg
  • Ying Yang Bends - 10 reps
  • Ying Yang Side Bends - 10 reps
  • Tai Chi Waist Turner - 50-100 reps
  • Gymnastic Shoulder Shrugs - 10-15 reps
  • Gymnastic Shoulder Pull-ups - 10 reps
  • Towel Pulls - 10 reps
  • Side Towel Pulls - 10 reps
  • Dynamic Calves Stretches - 10 reps
  • Alternate Straddles - 5 reps each side
  • Dynamic Lion Stretch - 10 reps
  • Table Maker Strength - 10 reps
  • Kneeling Back Bend - once, as far back as you can go
  • Forward Rows - 10 reps
  • Dynamic Bridge Stretch - 10 reps


So, this will take me nearly 3 weeks to learn the full routine, and hopefully by then the habit will be ingrained.  I'm only on day 2 today, so have done Sumo Squat Stretches and Kicks.


No comments:

Post a Comment