Wednesday 24 February 2021

Happiness is a Smoking Gun by Alaine Allister

This is H in my list of A-Z of Fiction Titles.

Happiness is a Smoking Gun is a cosy murder mystery about a woman called Clarissa who decides to start her own newspaper and her first story will be solving the murder of the town mayor.


The Blurb says:

Out of work reporter Clarissa Spencer is being stalked by a stray cat. She can’t cook to save her life, her garden is an overgrown mess and her chocolate chip cookie addiction is out of control. Then to top it all off, she gets struck by lightning!

Clarissa thinks she has it bad - until she learns the town mayor has been shot to death and his widow has been falsely accused of killing him. Okay, so it could be worse...

Clarissa makes it her mission to expose the true killer before her arch nemesis - an infuriatingly handsome reporter from the city newspaper - can. Unfortunately, solving a murder is easier said than done...especially with the lunacy in Clarissa's life!

This wasn't a bad book and story, however (as you can see by the front cover [and which I didn't see when choosing the book on my kindle]) there is a witchiness about the book.  Now, you know if you have read my other reviews, I don't mind a bit of paranormal or supernatural, but in this book it just seemed unnecessary, and her new powers didn't actually help her solve the crime either.  I'm guessing, because this is the first book in a series, it will be a bigger part of the plot in future books, however, for me, I don't feel inclined to read the rest.

A good book to while away a few hours, and (unusually for me), I didn't predict who the killer was going to be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment