Wednesday 3 February 2021

The Dark Side of the Sun by Terry Pratchett

 


I had never read any Terry Pratchett before I met my husband, and have since read all (I think?) of the Discworld novels.

The blurb says:

DOM SALABOS HAD A LOT OF ADVANTAGES

As heir to a huge fortune, he had an excellent robot servant (with Man-Friday subcircuitry), a planet (the First Syrian Bank) as godfather, a security chief who even ran checks on himself, and on Dom's home world even death was not always fatal.

Why, then, in an age when prediction was a science, was his future in doubt?

When I saw this book in my family's shared Kindle library, I thought it was another Discworld novel, but it is not.  It is set in a world when Probability is considered a science, but, should never be used, so is viewed almost as a religion.  There is space travel between worlds, and definite interplay between people of differing religions and races.

It took me ages to read this book.  There is a lot going on and it is confusing as it seems to jump about a bit, with not logic or transition between different scenes.  Once I got my head around what was happening, the book was more enjoyable, but it is still not at the same level as any of the Discworld books.

No comments:

Post a Comment