Sunday 7 February 2021

Ember by Jessica Sorensen

This is book E in my A-Z of Fiction Titles.  I have read Jessica Sorensen before, and this book was no disappointment.  (In case you are confused by the naming of these books, they are all aimed at teens/young adults, but Ember is the cleaner version, whereas Ember X is the more adult version.)


The blurb says:

What if you knew when someone was going to die?

For seventeen-year-old Ember, life is death. With a simple touch, she knows when someone will die. It’s her curse and the reason she secludes herself from the world. The only person who knows her secret is her best friend Raven.

Then she meets Asher Morgan. He’s gorgeous, mysterious, and is the only person Ember can't sense death from. So when he pushes into her life, she doesn’t mind.

But when unexplained deaths start to haunt her town, Ember starts questioning why she can’t sense Asher's death and what he may be hiding.

This is a teen book.  It is set in a school and some of the characters are not as complex as they could be, but it is still really enjoyable.  I read the whole book last night (staying up much later than I intended) and would allow my daughters to read this.  It is dark (as you should expect when talking about death) and there are brief mentions of mental health issues (that in a book for adults, I would have expected to be explored more deeply), but overall it's a good read and I have added the next in the series to my wishlist. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment