Saturday 26 January 2019

The KonMari Method of Tidying

A few years ago, after being prompted by a friend, I read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying by Marie Kondo.  There were parts of the book that really struck a chord with me (such as only keeping items that you feel good about - or "Spark Joy" as Marie Kondo terms it - and making sure everything has its own place) but other parts didn't feel right to me, so I skimmed past those as a bit weird or odd.

Now, here we are 3.5years since I read the book, and my friend is now the First KonMari Consultant in my county.  My house, however, hasn't changed that much, but I am much more discerning about what I bring into the house in the first place - it's a start!  DD1, otoh, loves to have a tidy bedroom but has a lot of stuff.  I often find her watching YouTube clips about various "life hacks" in order to tidy and organise her belongings.  She is naturally a bit of a hoarder - in the past she cried because DD2 was happy to recycle one of her own pictures, and ended up taking it out of the bin and kept it herself!  Given there is the new Netflix series, Tidying Up with Marie Kondo, I thought this might be more accessible for my daughter than reading the book.

On a humorous note, when about to start watching a new episode we noticed the Netflix glitch was still there.  Not quite as funny as the machine gun one, but still made DD1 chuckle at the image.


I am please that DD1 is enjoying the series and it is inspiring her to sort through her belongings, and she is even considering donating some things (a HUGE thing!!).

For me, however, something was still niggling me, and I finally found out what it was: the practice of Shintoism as part of the tidying methodology, which conflicts with my Christianity.
For example, when entering a house, Marie Kondo will find a space, and then take a moment to introduce herself and greet the house, and thank it for being a shelter.  This is a bit weird to me, because the house is an inanimate object so didn't choose to be a shelter or not.  As a Christian, however, we should be thanking God for the provision of shelter and refuge.  So, it is possible to adapt some of the practices and meditate on the Word of God, instead.
Psalm 91:1,2
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High
    will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
 I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress,
    my God, in whom I trust.”
Similarly, in order to identify whether an item sparks joy you are meant to hold every item individually, and if it doesn't you still need to thank the object.  Animism is antithetical to Christianity, which holds that there is One God.  He, alone, is to be worshipped and all other idols are to be put away.
 Deuteronomy 6:4 
Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 
Exodus 20:3
You shall have no other gods before me. 
That said, with awareness and spiritual discernment, it is possible to follow the KonMari method without practising any of the Shinto elements.  Indeed, Matthew 6 mentions giving to the poor (which is a great thing to do with the items you no longer want in your home, rather than binning them to landfill) and emphasising that Christians should not be storing up personal possessions unnecessarily.

Matthew 6:19-21
Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
The KonMari method separates everything into 5 categories, which should be sorted through in order:

  1. Clothes
  2. Books
  3. Papers
  4. Miscellaneous
  5. Sentimental Items
Anything that does not spark joy, you should discard - anything that doesn't fit, is broken, or just doesn't get used anymore.  Each category should be sorted in one go, so rather than doing 5 or 10 minutes here and there, get all your clothes, for example and sort through them, making sure each item that remains has a home before you move to the next category.

For me, though, the biggest thing I have gained from reading and watching Marie Kondo, is learning how to fold clothes and store objects.  The biggest difference, to how I used to do it, is storing as many things as possible vertically in drawers.  This means that, in one glance, you can see everything you own, rather than having to rummage through drawers, messing up what was once folded.

One last thing, there are a lot of memes around at the moment, regarding Marie Kondo saying that you should own less than 30 books.  As a self-confessed bibliophile, that's not a pleasant thought. What she actually said was: "I now keep my collection of books to about thirty volumes at any one time." Thirty books work for her - but she doesn't say that everybody should only have 30 books.  It's about what sparks joy for you.  I do have some books that I possibly could get rid of now; I have many more books that I want to keep until my girls have left home as I think they'll be useful for their home education; and I have a fair few hundreds books that I will keep, possibly forever.  If you do keep a lot of books, make sure they are stored correctly and cared for. Simple.



No comments:

Post a Comment