Wednesday 16 January 2019

MosaiCraft

Part of being a Dance Mum, is that you have to go around the country to various dance festivals.  Last year, we were at the North Somerset Dance Festival, and decided to make a holiday of it by staying in a caravan park.  On one of our free days, we visited Clevedon Craft Village, and that is where we came across MosaiCraft.  For a pound, they were allowing children to make up keyrings of their own designs, from small plastic pixels, so both girls had a go.  Whilst there, I was perusing all the different kits that were for sale, and came across Tranquil Lake.  I really liked the colours, and I thought finally, a craft that I can do! So I did.


It's surprisingly easy actually, as long as you can use a pair of tweezers.  Each kit consists of baseplates (this picture has 6 baseplates), sheets of paper with the pattern on, and the pixels.  Unlike cross-stitch, which can be complicated to follow the pattern, this is very easy.  The transparent baseplates sit on top of the pattern, and you fill each colour as if it's a colour-by-numbers.  Each section of the pattern only has four colours on it, and they are in numerical order (this is not colour order, so the designs can look very odd until they are finished), and once completed, you move on to the next section.

After I completed the sunset, which took around a month for me to do, I decided that my mum, who does cross-stitch herself, would really appreciate something like this.  


I contacted MosaiCraft about their Bespoke Service, and set off a photograph from my mum's wedding.  They came back to me with various options, and I chose the one I wanted.  It was 24 baseplates, and took me 3.5months to complete.  Considering I only did this whilst I was waiting for the girls' activities (either dancing or home ed), and there was a summer break in between, I don't think it took too long at all.  And, the benefit of this hobby was that I was able to appear sociable and keep up a conversation at the same time, as opposed to when I'm reading and I zone out a lot.
I am not a crafty person (in the craft sense - sometimes I can be conniving, especially when playing Monopoly...) but I can do this, I enjoy it, and I impressed myself with the results.  Here's the finished portrait and a close-up so you can see the individual pixels.






















And I'm pleased to say, my mum absolutely loved it when I gave it to her and her husband for Christmas.  It is not the cheapest hobby in the world, but is so repetitive and enjoyable, that you don't need to concentrate too much, it's almost a form of meditation and you get something pretty at the end of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment