Sunday 18 October 2020

Trinity of the Truthbearer by Hans Erdman

This is book 2 of The Gewellyn Chronicles.  I have previously reviewed book 1 (here) and as a result of my review, the author Hans Erdman got in touch and gave me a copy of the next book to see if his writing has improved. As I was doing my A-Z of authors challenge, I did warn him that it may take me some time to get around to reading it, but as promised, once I finished the challenge I did read it.  
I purposely haven't reread my previous review, as I didn't want in influencing what I thought of this sequel, but I do remember thinking the ideas were good, but it felt like a dream.


This book continues the adventures of Connor Clark, his wife Iolena and adopted daughter Menta Kai, as they form the Trinity of the Truthbearer, and continue Connor's quest of taking The Truth to the 9 Kingdoms.

The blurb says:
BEHIND EVERY GOOD MAN IS AN EXTRAORDINARY WOMAN… OR TWO. Connor Clark is a strong man in body and spirit. But he is nothing without his soulmate, the beautiful Iolena Yaleria, and their adopted daughter, Menta Kai, by his side. It’s a lesson that Connor learns the hard way when he tries to confront the Dark Lord, Declan Dhark, on his own, and almost loses everything worth living for. Admonished by his friend and mentor, the wizard/cleric Padraigh, Connor vows to never split up the Trinity again. But Lord Dhark will not be denied. He will send a team of 20th-century Irish assassins and even a steam-driven tank to try and stop Connor from carrying the Truth to the Nine Worlds. The lies and deception are so strong that even the act of Confession may not succeed in finding the truth. From the Queen of Hevanok, to the pub in Bolandria, to the streets of Gewellyn itself, and across the shimmering portal of the Bridge above the stars, Connor and his Elven wife and daughter race the Dark Lord’s forces to save a child and bring the Truth to the remaining six Worlds, facing new danger and new adventures at every turn. Truthbearer 2: Trinity of the Truthbearer, the exciting sequel to Truthbearer, is the second book in the Journeys of Connor Clark.


I really enjoyed this book.  The pace was good, and it flowed really well.  There's a real sense of following Connor and the Trinity, rather than jumping about from place to place without understanding why.  I would have liked a bit more of a background of Declan Dhark - how did he get the title Dark Lord, and what exactly is his problem with Connor, that has meant altercations in different worlds?  But that could be resolved in subsequent books. 

It did not take me long to read this book, only about a week, which shows it kept my interest.  I am now going to read back my review of the previous book (here) so I can contrast them.

Ok, The strong ideas in the book are still there, so that is good, but as I have said, it is much better paced.  We understand where the characters are going, why, and there is a reasonable length of time for the journeys so it doesn't seem instantaneous or sudden.  There are some new characters introduced, who in turn join the larger family, and the characters we have already met show growth as time goes on.

Previously I said I would not continue with this series, given the improvement from the first book to this one, I will add the rest to my wishlist as I'd like to know whether the Truth can indeed be brought to all the kingdoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment