Tuesday 5 May 2020

Truthbearer by Hans Erdman

Truthbearer is by Hans Erdman, so is my 'E' book in the sequence (not a difficult sequence, being alphabetical...).  It's a Christian Fantasy where different worlds come together.  Connor Clark is from First Earth (or Earth, as we Earthlings call it), but finds himself in another land called Gewellyn.

The blurb says:
A shadow of evil covers the world, and Connor Clark has spoken out against that evil. When his wife is executed for refusing to renounce her faith, Connor escapes and enters a strange world of elves, wizards and the Deep Magic. A world not yet controlled by the dark magic of evil. A place called Gewellyn. Connor is given a quest. Together with Iolena, the beautiful banished Elven queen, and the rogue elf bounty hunter Meta Kai, he is to take the Truth of the coming evil to the Nine Worlds. But first, they have to save Gewellyn itself.

The newly revised edition of "Truthbearer" begins the epic, award-winning Christian fantasy series, The Gewellyn Chronicles, and the story of the Truthbearer, the Most Beautiful Woman in the Nine Worlds, and the bounty hunter who is destined to become the greatest she-elf in history.
I have to say I was disappointed in this book.  It has such potential to be really really good.  Lots of fabulous ideas that I wanted to get my teeth into.  I just couldn't get to grips with how it was written: too much too fast. In the first chapter My Journey, it is written "To this day, I have no idea whether what I am living is real or a dream. Whether it is part of a medically induced coma, or I am really living this existence..." and that is exactly how this book feel when you read it: fast paced and jumping from one thing to the next. Then this happened. Then that happened. Then they were here.  And then there again.  And the next, and the next, and the next. 

The story itself isn't too bad, I just wanted the opportunity to slow down and enjoy it.  Some of the things that happened were far too easy, and I know this will sound oxymoronic, but this fantasy just wasn't realistic enough for me.  I read to the end of the book, so didn't hate it, but I won't be following the rest of the series.

[Edit: The author has given me the sequel to read to see if his writing style has improved.  My review of that book is here and I have added the next book to my wishlist.]

No comments:

Post a Comment