Monday 20 May 2019

Home Ed Activity Residential

So last week was the long-awaited for HE Residential.

Wow!  It was amazing!

We went with JCA Adventures, and we couldn't have asked for a better week for the kids.  The weather was great, there was a huge number of activities on offer, and the instructors were absolutely fantastic.  Both instructors Mike and Molly had a really big rapport with the kids, they were energetic and encouraging, without being forceful - that was one of my fears, that the instructors would force the kids to do things they didn't want to do, and make life miserable for everyone.  But, it wasn't like that at all, they were brilliant.  They took charge, and made life easy for us supervisors/parents.

I even managed to do something extreme for me!

Over 25 years ago, when I went on my residential to Skern Lodge in primary school.  When younger I used to be quite active and went on many outings with Mendip Outdoor Pursuits.  I preferred water-sports (especially kayaking) but gave everything a go, and would look forward to the Christmas Caving Party each year.  However, I had (and still have) a fear of heights, so though I have tried climbing and abseiling, they are not for me!  Anyway, at Skern Lodge we did abseiling.  As I had done it before and knew I didn't like it, I didn't want to do it.  Everybody had a turn, and they persuaded me to have a go.  And I did it... but it took me 30min to abseil 124ft, and meant we missed lunch; but I did get the Abseiling Award Certificate, lol.

So anyway, after a week's worth of activities, and seeing all the children doing amazing things and push themselves, I had a go and did the Leap of Faith!


At the top of the 12m pole is a small platform  (no bigger than 1 square metre), and then you had to jump to a trapeze suspended in the air a little way away.  Ok, so I didn't jump.  I couldn't even stand on the platform!  But I did manage to climb up the rope ladder, hold on to the top as the pole was swaying in the wind, and bum-shuffle my way to the edge and lift off it.

Given I don't normally go above 3 steps on a ladder, and I can't go up spiral staircases (they type of you in church towers or castles) at all, this was a huge achievement for me!

Unfortunately, the organisational side of things let them down - we were given the wrong rooms when we arrived on Monday, and when group 2 arrived on the Wednesday; the catering for allergy sufferers wasn't as good as it could have been; and even the souvenirs that we had purchased had a spelling mistake on them!  Fortunately, none of the kids were affected by these issues (and we will be sent new merchandise with the correct spelling), so I have come away thinking that I could do it again next year.  So when I posted previously Remind Me Not To Do This Again, please keep reminding me, as though there were hiccups (and shout-out to Sarah who was fantastic at sorting everything out for us on-site) I've come away with happy memories and wanting to do it all again...

No comments:

Post a Comment