Wednesday 29 May 2019

Bright and Zany Costume

For my Musical Theatre show, I need to come up with a Bright and Zany Costume.  I already had a black tutu, so decided to buy some knee-high rainbow socks, and was looking at different tops; unfortunately, anything half decent cost more than I was hoping to pay for. 

So, I bought a cheap Tshirt from ebay, that I thought would clash beautifully with stripy socks, and I decided to have a go adjusting it myself.

Then I searched various ways to DIY or hack or improve Tshirts, and decided to use a combination of them to make this simple Tshirt, more 'goey-outy'.

First of all, I decided I wanted to cut open the neckline, and then weave the Tshirt to make a bit of a fancy pattern.  Following some easy How-Tos on the internet, I cut out the neck and made multiple slits in the Tshirt all around the neckline.

Then you pull each loop through the neck one, and it creates almost a plaited pattern.

I cut the centre loops to tie them together.

Unfortunately, I didn't like the sleeves on the Tshirt either, so I used a Salina Bear clip from YouTube to make a cold-shoulder effect with cute bows on either side.

As you can see from the photos of me wearing the Tshirt, it looks better than I was hoping for, especially given that I am not arty/crafty at all.

The photos aren't great, because I am wearing a dress underneath, so doesn't show the shape of the Tshirt as good as it could be.  Additionally, I had to sew up a couple of places where the seams started to separate from where I had made cuts, but the photos were from before I had finished.

It makes me wish I had altered Tshirts back in the days when I used to live in them!


No comments:

Post a Comment