Tuesday 26 February 2019

Family and Debates


After recently posting about Why Aren’t People Angry? there have been a few arguments on my FB wall regarding political posts that I’ve shared. Nothing offensive or purposely provocative, just about various topical issues such as Shamima Begum, the 15yo who went to join ISIS and now wants to return to the UK or about Brexit, the upcoming March 29th deadline, and the potential for a People’s Vote.

I find myself in a difficult position because though I like debate, I don’t like conflict. Having a good debate with someone who is objective, gives evidence and doesn’t take things personally is brilliant. I like debating online, because I am much better with the written word, and can pause, think and respond in my own time.

Unfortunately, the people who are currently disliking my pov are family, and are taking everything personally. As I don’t want to be in conflict with them, I am choosing not to engage in debate with them. Not least, because they are not well versed in the art of debate, so not only are using various logical fallacies, but including phrases such as “I’m not racist, but...”. As they are taking the debate personally against themselves, other than occasionally correcting a point of information (and I do mean occasionally), I am not replying or responding at all because I want them to still like me, lol.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Friends of mine are replying to my family, hence why there is the debate and arguments on my posts when I’m not responding. And my friends are calling out the fallacies, the false statistics, the media lies and generally bad technique of debating. I do worry that the family who have commented think bad of me for not stepping in and defending them, however I do have to agree with my friends that using the phrase “I’m not racist, but...” is only ever used when the next statement is patently racist, and that the newspapers they read are not necessarily the best sources of unbiased news! If family did not want to get into a debate, they should not have commented on what I post or what I share. I won’t stop sharing my opinions and my thoughts for fear of them commenting, but I will actively not engage my family on these topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment