Sunday 24 February 2019

A Week as a Dance Mum

This week, both DD1 and DD2 have been dancing various solos, duets and group dances in a dance festival.  Of course, the festival isn't local, but takes over 2 hours on a good day with no traffic.  And we have to be there at least an hour before each dance, as festivals can legitimately run 30min early (as if that ever happens, but just in case...). 

I've already shared the panic that was Sunday: I turned up to a dance festival  after driving over 2 hours, with no music!  Fortunately, dance teachers came to the rescue and emailed me the music, which they then were able to play from my phone, so DD2 did not miss out on her tap solo.  Considering half an hour before her performance she didn't think she'd be able to go on, we rushed through her hair and make-up and then there was a false start as her music started before she was ready, I am really proud of how my 8yo coped with it all.  Though she didn't get placed, she did end up with a Merit.

Tuesday was our next day to be there.  Shortly after getting on to the motorway, this happened: Overtaking an HGV in my blue tin can, and notice it's a bit wobbly. Then it edges close to the line, but some do, and before I realise, it's halfway over my lane! I instinctively swerve and thankfully the car in the fast lane is far enough back as I didn't even have time to look! When I apologise to Fast Lane Car and he says it's not my fault, you know there was nothing else I could do.
A bit shaken, but got to the festival OK. DD1 danced well, but didn't get placed. Tbf, the top 3 deserved it, but have a look at her hair below - I had to learn how to do Victory rolls!  I'm not a natural hair dresser, so I'm very thankful for youtube!

And then it took us 5 hours to get home, between stopping for something to eat (McDs in the services so nothing fancy) and having to stop for petrol in Bristol, as I didn't want to pay services' prices. We were stopped on the M5 for 30 minutes because it was allegedly closed up ahead, but was totally clear once we started moving, and then I hit rush hour at both Bristol and my home town!


Friday was actually fairly good.  There were two group dances - both of which came joint 4th, and DD1 had her Song& Dance solo.  She didn't get places, but was a really big section with a lot of very good competitors.  The traffic there and back was good and there was nothing of note.

Saturday we were back again, as DD1 had her Song & Dance duet - they came in 2nd place with 83pts! So, not enough to qualify for the All England Championships, but a really good effort nonetheless.  We're finally back home now (had to stay an extra night as my husband had a 10K race this morning, which he ran in under an hour!) and I'm feeling tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment