Wednesday 3 October 2018

God is God!

So we looked around two more schools today.  One this morning and another this afternoon.

The one this morning seemed like a good school (it has a good academic reputation) but didn't set DD1 alight, and she said she'd prefer to stay home ed than go there.

This afternoon's school was amazing!  It specializes in Performing Arts (have I mentioned DD1 loves to dance? lol) but because we are out of the catchment area, DD1 would have to audition to try and get one of the Performing Arts places - of which there are only 15.  The school itself  had a lovely feel to it; the head teacher was giving off good vibes, the tour showed the school off in a good light, all the questions we asked were answered in the way we wanted, and they even baseline test every child in Yr7 for any SEN, whether officially diagnosed or not, so they can help them if they have dyslexia or dysgraphia or whatever learning or physical needs they have. Great!  If I were choosing a school for myself when I was that age, I would have loved this school for the academic side of things (I was/am a geek).  If choosing for DD1, I think she would love this school for the performing arts side of things.  DD1 liked the school... but doesn't want to audition.

DD1 does dance shows, musical theatre shows, dance and musical theatre festivals etc.  She is not shy, and not one to be scared of performing, but she is adamant that she does not want to audition.  I have had a brief word with her dance teacher to see whether it was worth my while pushing encouraging her to audition - yes! I have considered asking DD1 to audition anyway, and then say no to the school if she really doesn't like it, rather than discounting it now because of the audition.  I have asked the school for more information about the numbers of people who apply, and the numbers of those who audition, even though only 15 children get it.  I've discovered an acquaintance who works at the school who I've been thinking of asking what the audition process is like, so get some more information to provide to DD1, so she can finally be persuaded to audition.

Nothing was working.  She likes the school we visited yesterday.  Despite being able to choose 3 schools, she only wants to write that one down (so far - we have more school visits next week), and if she doesn't get it, she wants to remain Home Ed, and put her name on the waiting list for a space.

Tonight I went to Growth Group (one of the Bible studies at my church) having not been for a god few weeks due to holidays and various other commitments.  We were reading Romans 11:1-10 and discussing the starting question of whether God has rejected his people? which led on to whether we can believe God's Word (Romans 9:6)? and ultimately to a discussion about who God is.

Amazing as it seems, it turns out that God, is God! And even more hard to believe, is the fact that I am not God!  I am not the person who has ultimate control.  I am not meant to be the person in control.  I just need to trust in God and rest in His peace.

Why am I fighting to get DD1 to consider an audition that she doesn't want to do, when in fact a small, local school could be the best thing for her?  It could be where God wants her to be!  I do not know the future, but I choose to trust in God, in His goodness, and leave being God to Him.  I will pray about the situation, but DD1 is being sensible enough to consider going to school when she recognises that she needs more than what I can give,  Why shouldn't I trust her, and more importantly trust God in work in her life, to choose the school that best suits her needs?



No comments:

Post a Comment