Thursday 20 August 2020

Stronger Than Magic by Melinda VanLone

 This book was V in my list, and I'm getting excited about completing my challenge!



The blurb says:
Tarian Xannon never wanted to inherit her family’s power until someone tried to steal it.

Tarian Xannon is used to leading a double life. In one, she’s a modern day bounty hunter. In the other, she’s next in line to inherit an ancient mantle of power. She loves the first job, she’s not sure about the second.

When a demon steals her blood, and with it the ability to use her family’s power, she must embrace the duty she’s been denying or catastrophe will consume both her worlds. Now it’s a race against time to find and destroy the demon before he turns her into his puppet.

As the demon grows stronger, Tarian’s ability to resist grows weaker, and now saving the power she’s never wanted is the only thing that matters.

I read Stronger Than Magic in a day.  Overall, it kept my attention and made me want to know what was happening next.  I would even go so far as to say that I enjoyed it, and I have added the next in the series to my wishlist.  I didn't realise until halfway through the book that Tarian was meant to be 24yo, as she does act a lot younger (think 18/19yo), and some parts of the story don't make sense (women have power, but in reality are only incubators for children) but if you like fantasy, this book will allow you to spend an enjoyable few hours.

However, there are three issues that I have with this book:
  1. There are three fairly detailed sex scenes.  Not a bother if you're YA or older, but if you were to give this to your teen you may want to be aware of them.
  2. Twice this book disses human religion (specifically Christianity) as "worshipping an old man in the sky".  Firstly, that's a ridiculous straw man, and I don't know any Christians who do indeed worship an old man in the sky.  And secondly, this is a book about magic and demons and is set in a fantasy world where dolphins are Ancients.  It was just totally unnecessary comments by the author.
  3. What is stronger than magic? The title of the book seems to have no relation to what is happening in the story whatsoever.  Normally when books talk about 'stronger than magic' they mean 'love' - this book isn't about love at all, just sex.  And everything not about sex is about magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment