Friday 14 August 2020

Incarnation by Jason Tesar

 I'm speeding through the alphabet now, and Incarnation by Jason Tesar was my T.


The blurb says:

Since the ages before time was measured, the angelic races have existed. Unseen by our eyes, they move through creation, shaping our world, sustaining our existence, and battling demonic hordes. But the war is changing; the battle lines are expanding into new frontiers and the next epoch is emerging.

Centuries after the first humans were exiled from their home, their descendants have pushed eastward into a prehistoric wilderness. In a land shrouded by mist and superstition, primitive tribes struggle to establish new civilizations, unaware that their world is about to change forever.

Weary from unceasing conflict, Sariel—legendary warrior of the Eternal Realm—crosses into the Temporal in search of the only one who can bring him peace. But he is not the first; others have already begun their inhabitation. As the dominance of their kingdom spreads, threatening to engulf all of humanity, Sariel finds himself standing between his own kind and the one he loves and must embrace the life he abandoned in order to secure her freedom.

When I started reading this book, I found it hard to get into it.  It starts in a battle in the Eternal Realm between angels and demons and seems a bit same-old.  But do persevere as it does get better.  Sariel falls in love with a human, which isn't permitted.  There is also the story of Enoch who is a prophet - he leaves his home, wife and child, to walk miles in order to preach the Holy One's message.  Unlike other prophets, his message was for angels...

As a Christian, this was my context that I put the book in, but I would be interested to know if it can fit other world views or religions that have angels and demons?

So yes, I found the beginning of the book a bit unnecessary, many of the names of places, types of angel and their weapons have too many vowels (including 'y' as a vowel) - silly I know, but that's how I felt.  You do get used to them, and understanding the differences between the types of angel becomes more relevant as the plot progresses.  I confess, though, that I still didn't understand all the different weaponry: vaepir or vandrekt amongst them. I also don't know why they are always written in italics?

Once I got into the main part of the story, I did enjoy it, and have added the next in the Wandering Stars Series to my wishlist.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment