Friday 19 June 2020

Hair Update

I've just realised today that I had my hair dyed over 6 months ago!
I didn't expect it to even last until Christmas, but the colour stayed and I was suitably impressed.


Previously when I've dyed my hair (either myself, or at a hairdressers) the dye would come out thick and fast, and I was led to believe that my hair simply wasn't porous enough to hold the dye, even with bleaching first.  So though I had wanted purple hair for years, it was always a pipe dream, and I hoped that when I finally go grey, my hair would change sufficiently that I would be able to dye it.

Then a friend was telling me about her hairdresser, and personal recommendations are always the best, so after saving up, and psyching myself up, I went to Sharon Rewston.  Not only did she do the usual allergy test at the pre-appointment, Sharon also took a sample of hair and bleached and dyed it to see the colour that would come out.  I wasn't happy with the first try, so she tried again and got a brighter colour.

The day of the appointment came, and I was expecting it to take 3-4hours; it actually took over 8, but given the amount of work that needed to be done, it wasn't a surprise.  The price was more than I had previously spent on my hair, but it was agreed beforehand (even with the work taking longer than expected) and was definitely worth it.


The resulting colour was even brighter than I expected, so I was happy at the time and as I said above, I was still happy at Christmas time when the colour remained.

Over the following months, the colour did fade slightly, and my roots were growing.  I made an appointment for the start of May, where the colour would be refreshed and my roots would be dyed a plum colour.  (Forward planning, so that the next time my hair was to be dyed I could go bright pillar-box red, and the colours would gradually go from purple to red.)

Unfortunately, Coronavirus happened.  Lockdown happened and everything had to close.  My appointment was cancelled until further notice, but I understood, because everyone's health is more important than the colour of my hair.

During lockdown it has mainly been very hot and sunny.  My mental health is better if I'm outside, so I have been sitting as much as possible in the back garden, getting plenty of Vitamin D.
This has had the unexpected effect of lightening my hair.  I say unexpected, because it didn't occur to me, though logically the sun always bleaches colour.  Even my natural hair colour, which is very dark brown, the sun causes the red pigment to show more and gives me golden strands.  


Though my hair colour is now fading, I have to say that I'm loving the fade.  It has gone through Unicorn colours (as the pic above) and the blue is now turning a green, which DD2 reliably informs me is turning my hair Mermaid colours.

Yes, I would like my hair to be bright and bold again, but given current circumstances, I am doubly impressed with Sharon Rewston's hairdressing skills that not only has the colour lasted for over 6 months now, but that it is changing and fading in such a gorgeous way.  

So that is the point of this post.  If you need a brilliant hairdresser and you can travel to Swindon, then once lockdown has finished, call up Sharon.  I can't recommend her enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment