Sunday 9 June 2019

Adult Musical Theatre Dress Rehearsal

Yesterday, we spent nearly 4 hours running through the whole of the show that we'll be performing next Saturday. 
Laundry/Factory
Worker

I only joined the Adult Musical Theatre group last November, after watching my daughter sing as part of the same school, and thinking it looked like good fun.  I hadn't really sung since school, and I do enjoy singing.  I consider myself more of a choir-voice, than a soloist, and I thought it would be good to sing songs from Musicals as part of a group.

What didn't occur to me, however, is that part of Musical Theatre involves acting.  I know it's in the name, but  it didn't click in my head, until the very first night and we had to do Improvisation! Rather than running away, I thought it would be a good chance for me to challenge myself in a safe environment, so I stuck with it, and now we're doing our first show, in the on-site theatre, next weekend.
Ugly Step-
Sister

This show is a collection of different songs from differing musicals, and we have 2-3 songs per costume (I think there's 6 costumes, I can't remember now!); there are some scripted parts (I say a line), some solos (I sing 3 words by myself - which is brave for me! as I said, I'm not a natural soloist) and there will be some improv on the night, so it'll depend how I'm feeling whether I join in or not.

The run-through went really well on the whole.  I need to find some different shoes.  My character shoes have buckles that are a bit too tight for me to slip on and off easily.  I do have some suede-bottomed shoes from when I used to do Ceroc dancing which are elasticated, so hopefully I'll be able to find those and wear them instead. 

When I was dressed as a nun, when trying to get one of my girls to take my picture, I had two people come to my door.  One was a cold-caller, trying to persuade me I needed my windows and doors replaced, and the other was an Amazon delivery driver.  Neither of them batted an eyelid as to how I was dressed.  I can only imagine the sights they must see! 😄

I also had a few people tell me that being a nun suited me.  When I was a kid, I used to want to grow up and be a nun.  Even now, though I have no plans in the short-term, I have sometimes wondered whether it's an idea I'd go back to, should my husband die before me (and assuming my kids have families of their own by then).  Probably not, but now I have the costume should I change my mind... 😄

No comments:

Post a Comment