Sunday 20 October 2019

People's Vote March

Yesterday I had the privilege of being able to go to London to march with another 1,000,000+ people to press home the need for a People's Vote on the topic of Brexit.  Last March I was able to go on the previous march and though nothing as exciting as losing a child occurred this time, it was still good to be there, despite the rain!

My personal view, which I haven't been shy about sharing, is that we should Revoke Article 50 and stay within the European Union.  However, given the criminality that occurred during the 2016 Referendum, the continuous lies that have been spouted by Boris, and his conniving ways to try and circumvent the law, I think at the very least there should be a People's Vote on whatever deal gets agreed upon by parliament, not least because it is us who will be affected, rather than the elite with their millions kept off-shore.  If Britain does have to leave, I want us to leave with the best possible deal.

At the start of the march, it was lovely and sunny.  There was a carnival atmosphere, helped at least, by the steel drum band playing behind us. The 2.5mile route was slow going, but most of the way was moving. And when we got the news the Letwin Amendment passed, 322 to 306, big cheers were heard all along the route.

It wasn't until we got to Cockspur Street that it really started raining.  I was prepared and had my EU umbrella with me, but made my friend laugh, given the street name, when I "couldn't get it up".  Fortunately, that was only momentary and we continued the march in the rain.  I did learn two things at that moment: 1. Wearing short trousers in the rain, means rain can just drop straight into my boots; and 2. Wearing Uggs with holes in the bottom, means that not only can water come up through the soles, but also the fur holds on to the water, so your feet remain wet and cold until you get home at 10pm that night.

I only managed to get halfway down Whitehall before we came to a halt.  At this point the rain was torrential, and many people were returning down the way we just came.  The police had stopped the march up ahead as there were too many people (that's what we were being told by fellow marchers returning). My friend had to leave, to get to her mum's birthday meal, but I decided to stay, since it was only just gone 3pm by now, and my coach wasn't due to pick me up until gone 6!  At this point, I did have a little bit of luck, and happened to be stopped right next to the Horse Guards Parade.  They finally opened the gates, so we could pass through and continue walking to Parliament Square by another route.  I got there, and got to see many of the speeches.  At one point I was feeling too achy, so left the crowds to sit on a kerb.  The rains had by now stopped, but there were puddles everywhere and despite attempts by me to find a less-wet bit of ground, I still ended up with a wet arse.  Despite feeling cold, wet and achy, I had a good day and was glad I went.  Everyone was in good cheer, and some of the signs that people made were amazing.  Here are a selection of photos.

Me on a Fake TV
as it was expected there would be little to no coverage
by the BBC
Boris's Dad
shouting "Sorry" to the crowd
A selection of photos of the crowds

A selection of the best signs
though some are a bit rude

No comments:

Post a Comment