Tuesday 1 October 2019

Nation's Favourite Hymn

There's an article on BBC News about the Nation's Favourite Hymn as chosen by Songs of Praise viewers.  I really like hymns and songs, the music and the words really relate to me. 

My favourite hymn of all time is an oldie and is number four in the list: Dear Lord and Father of Mankind.  Despite this being sung over and over in school assemblies when I was a kid, it's still my favourite.  Possibly because it's a nod to my Catholic background (ie guilt) for everything that I know I don't do right.  The first verse goes: "Dear Lord and Father of mankind, forgive our foolish ways! Re-clothe us in our rightful mind, in purer lives thy service find, in deeper reverence, praise; in deeper reverence, praise."  People are often foolish (especially if they think they are wise) especially me, and I like the rest of the lyrics in the other verses too.

Back to the list, I actually like all they hymns in that list, except one: Number One!
I really hate the song Jerusalem.  Like really.  There are not many songs that I can say I hate (the only other one that I can think of, is John Lennon's Imagine - Urgh!) but this is one of them.  
And did those feet in ancient time
Walk upon England's mountain green?
And was the holy Lamb of God
On England's pleasant pastures seen?
And did the countenance divine
Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
And was Jerusalem builded here
Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
Bring me my arrows of desire!
Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
Bring me my chariot of fire!
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
Till we have built Jerusalem
In England's green and pleasant land.
The lyrics don't even make sense. Did Jesus come to England? No. Did he step on England's fields? Nope. Was Jerusalem built here? No-oh. The second verse is a bit better, but are we going to build Jerusalem in England? No.  Heaven on Earth - maybe.  I've heard it said that when Christians are at their best, that is a little of Heaven on Earth.  And of course there's the Belinda Carlisle song, which incidentally I really like, and is so much better than this hymn!

So yes, the point of this blog, was mainly for me to complain about Jerusalem.  And you're lucky I just briefly mentioned Imagine.  I could rant all day about that awful song!

No comments:

Post a Comment