Friday 7 May 2021

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Every year I try to read a classic fiction book that I haven't read before, and this year I chose Kidnapped, which is also my K in my A-Z of Fiction Titles.

The blurb says:

‘I have seen wicked men and fools, a great many of both; and I believe they both get paid in the end; but the fools first.’

Orphaned as a young teenager, Lowlander David Balfour’s only relative is his guardian and uncle, Ebenezer. Ill-thought of and disliked by many, it’s not long before Ebenezer betrays his nephew and David finds himself trapped aboard a ship.

He soon strikes up a friendship with fugitive stranger and Scottish Highlander Alan Breck and becomes embroiled in the fierce Jacobite struggle against English rule. A tale of high-seas adventure, loyalty and fighting, the complex relationship between Alan and David stops Stevenson’s novel from becoming ‘just’ a boys adventure novel.

Given that this book was written in 1886 and set in 1751, I found this book both easy to read and thoroughly enjoyable.

The book follows the life of David Balfour who, after the death of his parents, goes to claim his inheritance - a country estate.  On arrival at this estate, it is soon determined that it is currently inhabited by his previously-unknown uncle, who wishes to keep the estate for himself.

Uncle Ebenezer tricks David into going on board a ship, which quickly sets sail for the Americas, where he is to be sold to a plantation owner.  (Un)Fortunately, David finds himself shipwrecked on the west coast of Scotland, and much of the book is about his adventures as he tries to return home.

I really recommend this book.  Since finishing it earlier today, I've discovered it was written as a Boy's Adventure Novel, but I can see no reason why it wouldn't equally appeal to girls.  (I'm a girl.  I liked it.)
It is written from David Balfour's perspective, who fortunately is well educated in English, and where he is talking to people who speak in a Scottish dialect, either it is fairly well-known words (kenn = knowledge, for example) or a translation is provided. Phew!

Instead of starting my L book, I have bought the sequel so I can continue following David in his adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment