Friday 22 November 2019

Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan

I remember this book being read to me in Primary School.  Being sat on the carpet, and the teacher reading a chapter a day.  We'd then have to go away and draw a picture for something we heard.

I was wondering about reading it with DD2, so thought I better read it myself first, in case my mind was playing tricks and there were things that are not suitable.

I needn't have worried.  The 'worst' thing about this book is the language. Not swear words or anything like that, but it being old-fashioned, so may be difficult for a 9yo to understand.


The story itself is just as I remember.  A man called Christian has to travel a long way to get to the Celestial City, and encounters many friends (and foes) along the way.  It isn't an easy route, there is always temptation just around the corner and choices to make.

Normally, at this point in my reviews, I copy and paste the blurb from Amazon.  In this case, different versions (kindle, paperback, hardback, audio etc) have different descriptions! so I am going to combine them in a way that I hope makes sense:
The Pilgrim's Progress from This World, to That Which Is to Come is a 1678 Christian allegory written by John Bunyan. It is regarded as one of the most significant works of religious English literature, has been translated into more than 200 languages, and has never been out of print.It has also been cited as the first novel written in English. Bunyan began his work while in the Bedfordshire county prison for violations of the Conventicle Act of 1664, which prohibited the holding of religious services outside the auspices of the established Church of England.
The Pilgrim’s Progress is an engaging allegory of the Christian Life which has instructed and entertained countless adults and children over the past three hundred years.  As befitting a highly imaginative work, its style is simple and accessible.  
The story follows the spiritually tormented Christian on his difficult journey from the sinful City of the Destruction to the the Celestial City and its promise of salvation. Along the way Christian encounters a cast of characters who threaten his progress with temptation, imprisonment, and torture, while also finding support in the fellowship of other pilgrims and his own growing faith. Bunyan’s simple Christian allegory was written to inspire the faithful, but has since been recognized by scholars as a great novel in its own right. 
As I was reading this book, I was reminded of a hymn that was sung during assemblies at Secondary School: He Who Would Valiant Be.  The lyrics are:
He who would valiant be 'gainst all disaster,
Let him in constancy follow the Master.
There's no discouragement shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent to be a pilgrim.

Who so beset him round with dismal stories
Do but themselves confound - his strength the more is.
No foes shall stay his might; though he with giants fight,
He will make good his right to be a pilgrim.

Since, Lord, Thou dost defend us with Thy Spirit,
We know we at the end, shall life inherit.
Then fancies flee away! I'll fear not what men say,
I'll labor night and day to be a pilgrim.
 I had a 'duh' moment, when I looked the hymn up (as I couldn't quite remember all the words) and discovered that not only was the hymn written by John Bunyan, it actually appears in Part 2 of the original Pilgrim's Progress.  Learn something new every day!

So yes, I enjoyed this book very much.  Though I read the Youth Version, I think the language is still too difficult for my daughter, so I have since purchased a Children's Version of The Pilgrim's Progress (arriving today!) which may not be as poetic as either the original, it will be understandable for her, and hopefully she'll have some cherished memories of the book too.

No comments:

Post a Comment