Saturday 10 August 2019

Redcoats in the Buff

So last night, my husband and I had a night off from the kids, and went to see Mikron's show Redcoats.  Hailed by Ox in a Box that it was a "UK First", that's actually not true, as audiences were able to see the musical Hair when nude, back in 2017.  The fact it was a naturist event wasn't the reason we didn't take the kids as you know we love our Butlin's holidays! (I've spoken before about children and naturism), rather that it was in a gin distillery and I wanted to enjoy myself!


The show was fantastic!  The story followed Lynn, a lady who had been a Redcoat for 50years and was busy rehearsing (or trying to!) for her final show before she retires.  Unfortunately for her, the other characters, technician Terrence, Redcoat Barry and marketing-guru Destiny, have made some "tweaks" to her script.  The story goes through the history of how Billy Butlin started his holiday empire, and what Butlin's means to both Redcoats and holidaymakers who attend.  There is a good mix of laugh-out-loud humour, and more poignant moments, such as during the war.
My only criticism was when Terrence (aka @leccybaker123) says that his cakes get more follows/likes (or whatever - I don't insta) than sprockets and flanges.  Now, if he were a leccy, then he'd know that nobody cares about sprockets and flanges, but post a pic of a transistor or capacitor - whew, now I'm interested! lol

I often find shows with smaller casts have to try really hard to keep the audience's attention, but that was no problem for this crew.  The four actors are all brilliant singers and amazing musicians, swapping between various instruments (guitar, ukulele, violin, cello, saxophone, accordion and percussion) with ease, as well as portraying the characters very believably.
TBH, given some of the interesting tribute acts I've seen at Butlin's, this would be a good addition to the holiday parks; maybe not every year, but for anniversaries, or even every 5 years, this would be an amusing and interesting show.

I had not heard of Mikron before this, but I would recommend them.
And if Butlin's isn't your thing - they are also currently touring a show about The Wrens.




No comments:

Post a Comment