Tuesday 15 September 2020

Actually Factually by Guy Campbell

I don't know why this book was in my list of books to read - I can only assume that my husband got it for the children, thinking they would like it.  However, I do like tidbits of information, so I chose this as my next non-fiction book to read.


This book is a collection of oft-quoted sayings followed by a discussion about whether they are true or not, and covers a wide range of topics.

The blurb says:

A fascinating collection of misunderstandings, mistakes and misconceptions, "Actually Factually" reveals the reality behind just a few of the myths that get mixed up with truth. If you really thought that Christopher Columbus discovered America or that Henry VIII definitely had six wives this book will bring you right back to Earth with a bump.

Full of fantastic facts to wow your teachers, friends and family, the entries include: your hair and nails continue to grow after you die; a goldfish has a memory of about three seconds; water goes down the plughole the other way in Australia; ship's Captains can perform marriage ceremonies and more.

As an adult, there was nothing new in her, but for a child I can imagine it being quite interesting.  Each chapter is only a few pages long, and though there are scientific discussions, nothing is too heavy for a 8+ year old to understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment