Monday 3 December 2018

Inner Engineer


If you’re at home, sans kids, and want to watch something on TV, but not long enough for a film, what do you choose?

I think this is my geekiness at play, but atm I’m recording (yes, recording because I’m usually out when it’s on TV) Air Crash Investigation and Engineering Disasters, both on in the middle of the day on Blaze. Similarly, if there are programs on Extreme Weather or Natural Disasters, I’ll be watching.


I find it fascinating the things that can go wrong, especially things we take for granted. How technology advances, often due to accidents in the past (though the recent series of each include disasters as recently as 2014), to make things safer for all.

I enjoy flying, and if given the chance I like to sit next to the window but behind (but close) to the wings, so that I can check that the flaps that aid lift and slowing the plane are working properly (as if I can do anything about it), as well as when they are lifted you can see all the electronics underneath, which is quite cool. The only time that I would get afraid before a flight would be in very cold weather when there is snow, and perhaps ice, on the plane. I’m a Manchester United fan, and though it is well before my time, I still know about the Munich Air Disaster of 1958 when 11 from Man Utd died, including 8 players. One of those players, Duncan Edwards, was allegedly one of the best players in the world ever.

Even when I was younger, I found programs like these to be interesting and wanted to go into it for a career. I have a Masters in Engineering Science, have worked on a building site in Construction, worked in the Aerospace industry and worked for a Semi-conductor Manufacturer, so I do have some knowledge behind my interest, even if my career path has since taken a different direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment