Tuesday 25 February 2020

No More Diets by Sheila Granger

I do like books that help keep me motivated when I'm trying to lose weight, and though I have some that I read and reread (which it looks like I haven't reviewed, so I'll have to remedy that at some point!), I thought I would try a new one.

This book is all about changing your mindset through hypnosis, specifically the Virtual Gastric Band that Sheila Granger has patented.  Having used hypnotherapy when pregnant (and it worked a bit too well during labour, lol) I know that the relaxation techniques can help, so I thought I would give this book a go.

The blurb says:
By picking up this book, you’ve taken the first step in your journey to a happier and more fulfilled way of life.

Forget about yo-yo diets that make you feel constantly deprived. Instead, internationally-renowned clinical hypnotherapist Sheila Granger will introduce you to her pioneering Virtual Gastric Band therapy! By resetting how you think about food, Sheila will help you to:

-Discover a healthier, better you!
-Understand what makes you overeat and STOP!
-Shed excess pounds without trying…
-Live the life you choose…

So, what are you waiting for? Pick up your copy of No More Diets! and start living the life you deserve. With Sheila’s help, you truly can start believing in yourself – today!

I have to be honest, half the book reads like an advert for VGB - which I suppose it is.  I was hoping there would be a bit more about the techniques involved, though the chapters entitled "What type of eater are you?" and "You are the author of your own story" are the more useful ones, imo. 
Of course, it could be because I have read other books in a similar vein that I found this book less useful for me, whereas somebody totally new to the idea of not dieting may find some of the concepts about why we eat, and eating mindfully, much more amazing.

Reading this book has had an effect, though - I have more seriously considered hypnotherapy for weightloss, and last night I found a free app that has a 20min relaxation soundtrack that claims you can lose weight by listening to it every day for 3 weeks.  Having just finished a course of therapy, I do understand that by talking to someone 1:1, you can get things tailored to you as an individual that will be more beneficial than a generic free app, but we'll still see how it goes. (The natal hypnotherapy I used when pregnant were from CDs, so 'generic' can make a difference.)  If it does have an effect, I can then determine if I want to take it a step further and seek out a VGB practitioner.  I did have a look on https://sheilagranger.com/ and while there is 1 practitioner in my area, they have not put any prices online.  Until I believe it will make a difference, I'm not going to contact them to ask the prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment