Tuesday 28 January 2020

Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

Keen-eyed readers may notice that I've already done a review of this book with this picture.  That was a summary of the whole series (albeit with the blurb from this book) done from memory as I do really like these books.

This time, however, I was recommending this book to someone and because it's been a long time since I have read them, I have decided to reread them, not only to refresh myself of the story, but also to see the story now that I know how it ends.  (Don't worry, no spoilers here!)

I am not disappointed!  It's amazing how much detail there is in the book that I hadn't noticed the first time through.  There are hints as to what is ahead, both the short-term and also longer-term in other books of the series; and all the riddles and deciphering of old texts make perfect sense.

I read this book in just a few days (eight to be exact, according to goodreads) and even though I knew what was coming, I couldn't put it down.  There was much more packed into this first book than I remembered, and even though I remembered the overarching story, there were some details (eg about Nosy) that I had forgotten.

If you enjoy reading fiction, this book is for you.  It's filled with drama, twists, hierarchical society, battles, raiders, royalty, assassinations, love, honour and a smattering of magic.  Even though I intended to alternate between rereading this series and reading new (to me) fiction, I've already started on book 2 because it is so gripping.

No comments:

Post a Comment